Contract Type: Full-time / permanent
Experience: 3+ years
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Deadline: July 31, 2021
About Big Motive
Big Motive is a service design and innovation studio. We create digital products and services that improve the lives of people everywhere. We achieve this through a holistic ‘citizen-centred’ approach to designing services that are better for the people who use and deliver them.
We assemble multi-disciplined teams to understand challenges from multiple perspectives. We uncover deep customer insight through data analysis and qualitative research, crafting ideas into solutions through iterative development and testing. Our deeply collaborative approach aligns stakeholders with end-users, as we build a foundation for success and seed creative cultures in the teams we work with.
Over the years, we’ve enjoyed working with a broad spectrum of clients, spanning multinational brands to high potential startups and government teams dedicated to the transformation of public services. We love to work at the axis where business strategy meets execution in the real world, moving in rapid cycles from sketched ideas to the code and technologies that bring digital experiences to life. We started Big Motive to give people better representation in the design of digital services. We believe that balancing the needs of people as well as the planet can lead to long-term sustainable value for business, society and the future we share.
Building on our inclusive culture and diverse team, we are now searching for a ‘Design Researcher’ to join us and further enhance our capability. As Design Researcher, you will work on a range of exciting projects, bringing a blend of research and strategic design skills to support the delivery of award-winning human-centred experiences in the areas of health and wellbeing, public service transformation and social impact. You can expect to: work with a caring, high performance and cross-disciplinary team. You can expect to feel integrated with client teams you’ll be working with as well as being supported by your colleagues. You can also expect to deepen your knowledge of design, agile delivery and business processes through an exciting period of growth.
- You appreciate the power of the design process when executed well
- You have a growth mindset and you’re inspired by the immense potential for change
- You’re a finisher and love to see projects through
- You are enthusiastic about digital technology
- You have experience working across a range of qualitative research methods
- You are experienced working on research projects in resource-constrained environments
- You are able to analyse data to define meaning and recommend outcomes
- You’re comfortable navigating challenges and tough situations
- You thrive in a creative and highly collaborative environment
- Collaborate with senior team members on research-led projects or projects with a significant research component
- Plan, prepare and facilitate investigative research, UX research and user testing activities
- Report on research processes and outcomes through presentations, workshops and collaborative sessions with stakeholders
- Facilitate workshops and discussions to synthesise findings as well as generate and communicate ideas
- Validate design concepts by eliciting feedback, measuring usability and drawing on market or category analysis
- Engage clients, stakeholders and colleagues to ensure your proposed recommendations or solution ideas align with user needs, business goals, technical opportunities / constraints
- Develop and deliver artefacts, precise documentation and professional presentations to communicate project milestones or proposals
- Make a positive contribution to team motivation and morale
As well as having acquired expertise working on design research projects, you:
- Are a ‘design generalist’. Whilst you have developed a specialism in research, you have an appreciation of creativity and are comfortable navigating the design process
- Are passionate about innovation – applying original thinking and advocating for the user
- Are able to think holistically, whilst being detail-oriented and delivery focused
- Are a clear communicator. You are capable of conveying ideas in writing, breaking down concepts clearly for a diverse range of stakeholders
- Are open to sharing… your thoughts, ideas and work in-progress
- Can appreciate when to challenge business requirements whilst championing user needs
- Seek out opportunities to learn and empower yourself and those you work with
- Can handle pressure and you’re able to work in a dynamic and fast-moving environment
- Are able to travel — when it becomes safe to do so — occasionally, with advance planning
Please apply by contacting us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following: cover letter, current CV, portfolio website address (if available) and your LinkedIn profile address.