Graduate Design Researcher
We are searching for a ‘Graduate Design Researcher’ to join our diverse team and further enhance our capability in the design and delivery of innovative digital products and services.
As a Graduate Design Researcher, you will work on a range of exciting projects, bringing a blend of research and organisational skills to support the delivery of digital transformation and innovation projects in the areas of health and wellbeing, public services and private sector.
Big Motive’s research team specialises in working closely with end users to understand their context, attitudes, behaviours, motivations, and needs. We use insights from research activities to advocate for these users, ensuring their voice is heard throughout the design and development process.
You can expect to work with a supportive, high performance and cross-disciplinary team – and to feel integrated with the client teams you’ll be working with, as well as being supported by your colleagues. In addition to growing your research expertise, you can also expect to develop a knowledge of design, agile delivery and business processes through an exciting period of Big Motive’s growth.
- You have a passion for using research to understand peoples’ attitudes and behaviours, and advocating for their needs.
- You have some experience in the application of qualitative research methods such as interviews, workshops, contextual inquiry, diary studies, etc.
- You have some experience in the application of quantitative research methods such as questionnaires and unmoderated usability studies.
- You are able to analyse qualitative and/or quantitative data to derive meaning and recommend outcomes.
- You are enthusiastic about the design of digital products and services.
- You have a growth mindset and see yourself as a team-player with a can-do attitude.
- You are a detail-oriented finisher and love to see projects through.
- You are comfortable navigating challenges and tough situations.
- You thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
- You have the ability to handle pressure and are able to work in a dynamic, fast-moving environment.
- Support the planning, preparation, and facilitation of qualitative research activities such as interviews, workshops, contextual inquiry, diary studies, etc.
- Support the planning, preparation, and execution of quantitative research activities including questionnaires and unmoderated usability studies.
- Support the analysis of quantitative and qualitative data to derive actionable insights and recommendations.
- Conduct desk-based research and literature reviews.
- Collaborate with senior team members on research-led projects.
- Liaise with participant recruiters and support participant onboarding.
- Report on research processes and outcomes through presentations, workshops and collaborative sessions with stakeholders.
- Draft findings, recommendations, and research reports.
- Present research findings to diverse audiences through written and verbal presentations.
- Make a positive contribution to team motivation and morale.
- Experience in the planning, preparation, execution, analysis, and reporting of qualitative research methods during industry placement or through course assignments.
- Experience in translating research findings into insights or recommendations.
- Strong verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel — assuming it is safe to do so — occasionally, and with advance planning.
- Experience in the planning, preparation, execution, analysis, and reporting of quantitative research methods during industry placement or through course assignments.
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience in research involving digital solutions.
- Knowledge of the design process.
- Salary: £25,000-£30,000
- Flexible and hybrid working
- Generous pension contribution
- Annual bonus
- Professional development budget
- 24 days annual holiday
We support flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that enable the best outcomes for our people and clients. We’re open to exploring options for flexible working regarding this opportunity.
Big Motive is committed to equality of opportunity. All applications for employment are considered strictly on the basis of merit.
About Big Motive
Big Motive is an award-winning service design and innovation studio. Our approach involves deep collaboration with service users to uncover rich human insight. We co-create solutions in rapid design cycles, accelerating service transformation to ensure better sustainable outcomes for users, businesses and humanity.
We create future-ready digital services with clients in the areas of health, government and social impact. A member of the Global Service Design Network, Big Motive is also Corporate Partner of the UK Design Council and was recently awarded ‘best in show’ at the UK National Design Week Awards for our work on the Covid Response Service for Northern Ireland’s Department of Health.